Greetings!
I've done some "about Me" posts here before. This is, of course, my non-baseball and therefore, not really cared about topics, blog.
Recently on a Facebook group I saw a photo of an area in Peterborough that had rail lines in the 70s.. The street is currently a bicycle thoroughfare with limited vehicle access (people do live on the street)
Human Geography fascinates me.. Human Geography, by the way, is the migration and settlement patterns of people. I find it interesting how a city grows. How the services and the stores change over time. And yes, how public transportation evolved over the years.
I first moved to Peterborough in 1998 to go to University and moved permanently in 2002.. When I was first here, we had regular bus service up to a point, then it became "Dial a Bus" where you had to call and let them know where you were to get picked up and where you were going. The routes were basically improv as a result. Then they changed to regular service throughout the evening. As the city grew, they tinkered with timing and routes to improve service and service times. Currently, we have a model that generally works in cities larger than Peterborough, or in cities that are more spread out, like Thunder Bay.
I'd love to be able to see route maps through the years to see how transit changed in Peterborough. I'd also love to see where commuter rail traveled through the city. I know we used to have Via Rail here, but I was told it stopped in the early 90s. Lack of ridership. That left Greyhound as the way to Toronto, unless you drove to somewhere along the GO Train line.
Finally about 5-10 years ago we got GO buses serving our area, connecting to the Rail at Oshawa. Now they're talking about high speed rail, (realistically they've been yammering about it for probably 10-15 years) coming through the city, but there's a lot of people pulling the NIMBY card through the planned route for the line.
That photo stuck in my mind for most of last night..


No comments:
Post a Comment