Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Favourite Songs

 Greetings!

I'm feeling oddly good today.. Though part of it is also feeling antsy. But anyway.

I've been in a deep hole for a while and I know it's been rather negative around here lately. I wanted to do something different today and bring up some of my favourite songs. 


Straw Hat and Old Dirty Hank by Barenaked Ladies
I don't know what it is about this song, but I've loved it since I first heard it on Born on a Pirate Ship. 


No Man's Land - Billy Joel

This is the opening song of the River of Dreams album. To me it speaks of the isolation in urbanization, if that makes any sense. The River of Dreams album is one of my favourites overall. 


Twilight in Hell - Lillian Axe

That opening riff.. 


Voyager II - Virginia Coalition

I found this group on MySpace (remember THAT place??) years ago.. I have a few favourites from them, though one doesn't seem to have any representation on YouTube.. 
I love the melodies and the energy their songs have. That and the stories.. 
Other songs I love of theirs are Spare Change, The River, Green and Grey...


Tell Me Why - Genesis

This is another one I've always just loved the message of. And really... The message in this seems to be timeless... 


Never is Enough - Barenaked Ladies

I remember the first time I heard this song. It was still when it was in a demo stage. I got into the song right away. 


Walking Through Walls - Escape Club

I don't know what it is.. I just loved this song from the first time I heard it. 



The Last Saskatchewan Pirate - Captain Tractor

Now.. There are two groups that originally did this song. The Arrogant Worms, and Captain Tractor. I like both versions, but this one is above the Worms.. This is just a fun song all around.


Shades of Grey - Billy Joel

Another song off the River of Dreams album. This song spoke to me when I was young. The album came out in my Grade 9 year. I think I've always known things aren't black and white.. Sometimes we just don't see, or have the mesans to articulate, the nuances... 


Intermittently - Barenaked Ladies

This was off Maybe You Should Drive. MYSD is one of my all time favourite albums. I don't skip songs on it when I listen to it. 


These Apples - Barenaked Ladies

Another song off Maybe You Should Drive. I love the guitar and for some reason, the little solo from 2:20-2:30 reminds me of the original Railroad Tycoon. 

There were a couple songs I had written down that I couldn't find on YouTube. I mentioned Spare Change by Virginia Coalition earlier. Another one is I Will Not Go Quietly by Don Henley. 

So dear reader, what are some of your favourites? 





















1 comment:

  1. Despite never being much of a Billy Joel fan, I really liked the River of Dreams album when it came out. It wasn't until this post that I realized just how long it's been since I last heard a song from it though. I should probably go back and listen to it one of these days. I'm pretty sure that the only BNL song I've ever heard is "One Week". I didn't mind it the first dozen or so times I heard it, but geez did that one get overplayed at the time. I think I got so tired of it that I just never bothered to listen to anything else from them. I should probably rectify that too.

    ReplyDelete