Tuesday, December 13, 2022

This May be Triggering....

 Today I want to talk about something that may be triggering to some people. If it is, I understand if you click away after you find out I want to talk about suicidal thoughts and the role they've played in my life the last few years...


Ok....


Honestly, the first time I had any sort of thoughts about not wanting to be here anymore was as a teenager.. My parents would call me useless, then in the next breath ask me to do stuff.. There were days I'd bury my face in a pillow.. Obviously, trying to suffocate yourself that way doesn't work.. I was pretty decent after that.

After a while of just plowing through everything just to survive, I got married and divorced. I finally found a job again after being unemployed for four years. 

Then one day while I was driving my school bus route, it happened.. I was sitting at a corner, making sure it was clear for me to go when I had a very vivid image in my head. Almost movie like... It was of me finishing my route, going home, and grabbing a steak knife from the drawer and slitting my wrists. 

I told the dispatcher when I got back, because it scared me. We talked for a while and I just said that all I felt was either anger or sadness. I got into counseling and was taken off the road for a bit. 

Then COVID hit.. And then my legs got cellulitis again.. And just kept getting worse.. As mentioned before, I was told I was 12 hours from death when I went into emerg.. I found out later the homecare nurse was debating not coming to my house that day. 

While I was in the hospital, I wanted to die. I was in so much pain. I didn't see myself getting better. I did though. And while I did deal with a few times of wanting to either wrap the call bell cord around my neck or use the incredibly dull scissors to cut myself, I didn't.. 

Most recently, while I was taking the pills I take at night before I go to bed, I had another mental flash. This one was taking a bottle of either my heart medication, or my blood thinner, and just downing the entire bottle. 

I don't know what the heart med would do.. But I do know that if my blood gets too thin, it doesn't carry oxygen. I also know that a stiff breeze would cause me to bleed and likely bleed out. 


I'm mentioning all this because I want you to know that thoughts don't have to turn into actions. Also, you're not alone. It may feel like it, but you're not. 

3 comments:

  1. Anyone who have ever suffered through moderate to severe depression has had such thoughts. I tend to look at it like most other things in that it's just something that some of us have to deal with. You always hear people say that they're not brave enough to go through with it, and I always think that maybe they're braver than they think they are; brave enough not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last part is captured perfectly in a line from the song War on Drugs by the Barenaked Ladies..
      "The Very fear that makes you want to die/Is just the same as what keeps you alive. It's way more trouble than some suicide is worth"

      Delete
  2. Hi Mike.
    Thank you for publishing this stuff. I know its hard but at least two of us are reading along. It was great to meet you a couple months ago. I think you're a guy worth knowing.

    ReplyDelete